Seaboard Joinery was founded in 1947 by Leon Cohen when he returned from New Guinea after serving with the Australian Army at the end of the Second World War. He ran a very successful business, at time employing in excess of 20 employees. During the 1960's to 1970's he manufactured some 2000 "Leach" Potter wheels that were obtained by Schools and Colleges as well as Studio Potters throughout the country.
Maureen Beattie joined Seaboard Joinery in 1962 and under Leon's tutelage learned the pricing and managerial skills that lasted 54 years. She took over ownership upon Leon's death in 1995, being one of the few women in New Zealand to own and operate a Joinery business.
In April 2016 the Joinery Foreman Michael Kreft took over running the business.